Posts Tagged ‘Misc’
The WhatANerdGirlSays blog’s Fandom Friday feature this week: Tamora Pierce and Tortall.
Tamora Pierce was a finalist for the 2012 Mythopoeic Society Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature for the Beka Cooper series. The award went to Delia Sherman’s The Freedom Maze, a book Tammy highly recommends to all her fans. Congratulations, Delia!
The Amelia Bloomer Project is part of the American Library Association’s Social Responsibilities Roundtable Feminist Task Force, and annually selects the best feminist books for children and teens published within the last 18 months. The Amelia Bloomer List recommends books with significant feminist content.
Here are some pictures of Tammy taken from her appearance at Menlo School in Atherton, CA — with thanks to Peter Zivkov.
Words of Tamora Pierce is a fan blog chock full of information on Tortall, based on information given out from Tammy’s public postings and appearances. Take a look!
The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy by Leonard Marcus and published by Candlewick Press, includes an interview with Tammy.
Update (4/15/2016): You can now purchase this book here, on Amazon.com.
- Getting the New England Science Fiction Association’s Skylark Award for being an author who plays well with fans, and having Jane Yolen tell me why it’s important to put my award where the sun don’t shine.
- Going to southeastern Alaska with Tim, which included:
– Seeing my first glacier in person, the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau;
– Seeing scores of bald eagles and humongous ravens;
– Visiting the Alaskan Raptor Center in Sitka and being introduced to Volta, the bald eagle;
– Seeing wild whales.
- Having my face snuffled by a month-old baby rhino at the San Diego Wild Animal Park.
- Visiting the Badlands, the Black Hills, Custer National Park, and the Needles in South Dakota with my sister Kim, which included:
– Sitting (quietly) in the car while a herd of buffalo split and walked around us;
– Feeding alpine chipmunks at a scenic lookout;
– Getting wild burro slobber on Kim’s car as we fed them carrots;
– Visiting Devil’s Tower in Wyoming with Kim and her husband Randy.
- Going to my first family reunion in 30 years with Tim, Kim, and Randy.
- Meeting Jane Lindskold, one of my favorite fantasy writers, after years of fandom.
- Getting to visit again with Charles de Lint, Holly Black, Debra Doyle, James Macdonald, and the one and only Bruce Coville in my travels.
- Attending the Witching Hour symposium in Salem, Massachusetts, and having a wonderful time with a lot of really smart Harry Potter fans who are into a million other things.
- Shaking the hand of Studs Terkel, who re-made the face of social history and oral history with his book, Working: People Talk About What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do.
- Discovering rough opals in their native stone: Mexican fire opals, Honduran (or Andesite) opals, black opals, Koroit opals, and Yowah opals, much to Tim’s dismay! And as for what I’ve made of all these discoveries—you’ll just have to read the books, won’t you?!